Thursday, July 28, 2011

True Salt Water Joy

Ladies and gentlemen, here is the reasoning behind the name of my blog; the true definition of "salt water joy" (no, it isn't named after the traditional song, though I do enjoy this cover!).

The lyrics of the song actually ring true to me in the sense that I'm definitely happier here than I would ever be in a huge city. When I was young, I believed that I wanted to live in New York, California, Paris. I couldn't wait to get away from this small town in the middle of nowhere, to a place where I could hide amongst a crowd, change my character, do whatever I wanted. I'm not entirely sure when my vision changed - probably around the time that I left for university. It was then that I missed my obscure little town, the view of the ocean from my living room window, the smell of salt water on a foggy afternoon.

I've truly come to appreciate the beauty of the place where I live. Sure, we may be labeled as hicks or hillbilies, but I'm okay with that. We're not the fashion capital of the world - in fact, I would look out of place if I dressed up to get groceries, but that isn't the point. The point is that I can visit the ocean every day, I can run though miles of forest that is my backyard, I can breathe fresh air that blows off the sea. I know my neighbours and in fact, I'm related to most of them. I love that on any random day, I can hop in a boat and experience the freedom of the endless ocean. It's honestly my favourite place in the world to be, and it's those little joys that thrill me beyond belief.

Where do you find your joy?

2 comments:

JC said...

I've come to prefer that too. Funny how things change as we get older. I used to think New York would be amazing, but visiting there.. I just couldn't deal with it on a daily basis. There's so much more beauty to be found outside of the city. As to looking out of place when you get dressed up, at least people won't think of you as the frumpy girl! :D

Kristen Thornburg said...

Your blog is BEAUTIFUL!

Post a Comment